Monday 27 September 2010

How Not to Apply for a Job


This blog has been up for three days and I'm already enjoying it. It's good to be separated from my business blog because I can discuss things that perhaps my clients might not want to read!

That's not as bad as it sounds - I promise not to badmouth anyone, but I will be a little more forthright.

Business is a little slow at the moment. One of my clients has gone offline and has given my big project a break, the other has recently offered just a short piece and no more. So what is a girl to do? All dressed up and no work to do!

I've been checking out some job boards and found a couple of jobs to apply for. Both were UK-based, but for the one, I had no experience and the other was WAY below my usual rates. It's a Friday afternoon, I fancied chucking my CV into the mix, but with very little hope of getting the job.

What would you do?

What did I do? I applied!

The first job I had no experience for. I tried to explain why I thought I could do the job as best as I could, but upon reflection, I doubt that I will be considered. My lack of experience disqualified me for the job.

Point number 1 Never apply for a job that you don't have some experience for. It's a waste of your time, the client's time and is unlikely to bear fruit. I really wanted to go for it: it's an area that I'd love to move into and I think I could do a good job or I wouldn't have applied for it. Unfortunately I doubt the client will agree. By the way I probably won't know for another week.

The second job was even worse! Not only did I apply for this job, quoting a rate above the client's stated rate, but I also stated that I would like to see them qualify the comment that they had made about the rates going up as time went on. I suggested that they put in a time frame for the rates to go up if they wanted to hire me.

Even I know that there are plenty of low cost writers out there. By applying for this post I dropped my usual rate just because I was looking for some regular work. Now, I regret it and await with interest to see if I will get a response. I don't think I will or if I do, it probably won't be polite!

So there you go: two ways not to apply for a job. I am going to continue to talk to past clients and email new prospects to try and bring more work in. I am also working on an Ebook to release on my business site some time soon.

What would you do? What have you done? Is work plentiful right now, or like me did you leave a gap in your marketing causing a fall-off in work?

Leave your (helpful) advice in the comments below.

Photo Credit: Found on Flickr and taken by _StaR DusT_

1 comment: