Monday 21 February 2011

Writing When Distracted

Today is the first day of school half term. There are two young people to be entertained as well as the usual house tidying, meal cooking and washing, washing, washing! The only bright side is the lack of a school run which usually severely cuts into my writing time.

There's no real answer to this - every family is different. I'm between jobs right now, but that doesn't mean I have plenty to do. I set up a strict blogging schedule on my own sites at the beginning of the new year and it's beginning to pay dividends in terms of increased traffic. I also write for Suite101 and Hubpages and would like to increase my articles at both places.

My answer is to leave the computer set up and write in short bursts. If I have a chance at night, then I might plan out the articles I want to do, leaving the actual writing until morning. Otherwise thinking time takes away from writing time.

One thing I do want to do is enjoy the children. We will still get outside every day (even when it's cold and wet) and do some interesting activities. I got into this writing life so that I could take time off and things will slow this week for this very reason. On the other hand, it's what keeps life interesting!

How do you organise your writing life?

No comments:

Post a Comment